Yes, you. The person who reads this. I have some questions for you!
I have a little bit of background in websites and internet and that sort of thing. And one of the things I’m always very focused on is usability, the art of making a website nice for the visitor instead of the owner. I mean, I’m not an expert, but I know enough about it to catch the most common mistakes and to help people build better websites. But I don’t have any knowledge whatsoever about blog usability. So, I figured, I’m just going to ask my awesome reader panel. 🙂
- Which of the following do you prefer?
- A homepage with each post having a short introduction and a “Read more” link, which makes it easier to scroll through and see if there’s anything you’re interested in (this is what I have now)
- A homepage with every post published in full (all information in one single glance)
- What would you like to happen when you click on a link to another post?
- Open in the same window or tab, so you have to use the back button (this is what I have now)
- Open in a new window or tab, so before you know it you have 15 windows open
Links to other websites always open in a new window or tab, by the way. It’s just the internal links I’m curious about.
- What do you usually pay more attention to?
- Categories and the top navigation menu (I don’t really have one at the moment)
- Tags and the tag cloud in the side bar
- I sometimes use smaller version of images and photos inside my posts. How would you like to look at the larger image?
- Open as a new page, with the top navigation still there (this is mostly what I have now, although I’d like to be able to add the right hand navigation as well)
- Open as a “pop-up” gallery which you can close with the little X in the upper corner (I have this sometimes for posts with multiple images)
- Anything else that annoys the sh!t out of you every time you come here? I love honest criticism (yay! honesty! no unintelligible social scripts!) so please take this chance to unburden your frustrations.
I would love to hear from you all in the comments! And to make it even harder to resist, I’m going to call you all awesome again. I mean, look at this. YOU ARE AWESOME. 😀 *doing bouncy happy thing*